Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Northern Renaissance Blog Post

 


Today, I will be analyzing a piece of work (seen below) painted by the Northern Renaissance artist Hieronymous Bosch. This piece is titled Tondal's Vision and was finished in 1479 in the city of Den Bosch, Netherlands.



Elements of Art

This piece features several different elements of art applied, but the one that stood out to me the most and the one I want to showcase is color. Bosch uses color as a symbol in this work to create a clear distinction of the concepts of heaven and hell. This piece utilizes color to demonstrate the contrast of what Bosch interpreted hell and paradise to be. Red and black symbolizing the fire and pits of hell while lighter colors symbolize paradise or "heaven". What stands out to me in this piece is that the entire piece gives me a sense of unease. This piece isn't simply just "heaven vs hell" where heaven is unequivocally good and hell is evil. In this portrayal, both sides present unease and even fear. There are strange creatures throughout the entire piece. I think the overarching theme of this piece is the representation of sin.

Personal Thoughts

While I love this and other works of Hieronymous Bosch, I would not want to own this. The artwork is honestly scary and gives me chills, which I would not want to display in my own home. I would be okay with seeing this occasionally, but owning a copy and displaying it would be too much.

The summarized story behind this painting is, that a knight is guided by an angel through hell and paradise, and as a result vows to lead a pious life. I personally am not very religious, but I can still relate to this work. If I was ever brought on a journey to witness the things Bosch has conjured up first hand, I too, would vow to live a very pious life. 

Connection to Humanism

I believe this work is connected to humanism, but not in a positive way. I interpret this work as being a critique of humanism. As stated in the article How Hieronymus Bosch Defied the Ideals of an Age written by Michael Prodger, "He was, for all the later claims of his psychological modernity, a painter of the Middle Ages: an orthodox Catholic who painted orthodox subjects".  Bosch was religious fundamentalist similar to that of the middle ages, who exclusively painted for the church. While his works might seem jarring, Bosch's works were most likely based on what he saw people who discredited or criticized the church to be. An explicit display of sin and its consequences. Compared to humanists where free thinking and critiques of the church were encouraged, Bosch wanted to show his interpretation of what he thought to be the consequences of forward thinking thought.






Works Cited

Marmion, Simon, and David Aubert. “Les Visions Du Chevalier Tondal (the J. Paul Getty Museum Collection).” Getty, www.getty.edu/art/collection/object/103RWK. Accessed 19 Feb. 2024. 

Prodger, Michael. “How Hieronymus Bosch Defied the Ideals of an Age.” New Statesman, New Statesman, 13 June 2021, www.newstatesman.com/culture/2016/03/how-hieronymus-bosch-defied-ideals-age.

“Hieronymus Bosch.” Obo, www.oxfordbibliographies.com/display/document/obo-9780195399301/obo-9780195399301-0064.xml. Accessed 19 Feb. 2024.

4 comments:


  1. Hello! What an interesting piece of artwork! I did notice when researching this time period that this artist, Bosch, created some rather nightmarish works. I think you are spot on in your assessment that the color is very important in this work; once I read your description I immediately saw the “hell” side and the “heaven” side. That is an interesting take on the painting’s connection to humanism, thanks for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a beautiful yet disturbing piece of art based on how it is presented. It reminds me of a lucid dream, how things are uneasy but there are also bright colors presented. Color is important and that's something you mentioned that I highly agree with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy this piece as someone with a religious background as its use of vivid imagery and colors leave a lasting impression of its message. The painting shows the circular and never ending state of humans sinful nature, as well as the hell on earth it brings us. the circular pool in the center is representative of us trying to be filled up by the things surrounding it, a pool that will never be filled. Very strong painting that is super fun to analyze!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I also covered a piece by Bosch, I think that the oddity and almost hallucinogenic feel of a lot of his works is fascinating and is what draws most people in. One thing I like about this piece and a lot of Bosch's works is that even though things are super strange and distorted in his works, you can still gather the theme and the symbolism from it.

    ReplyDelete